When to use 101:

101_regional_logo_PMS286_RGB_03In an emergency always call 999 – for example, when an immediate response is needed because a crime is happening, someone suspected of a crime is nearby or someone is injured, being threatened or in danger.

Callers should use 101 to report less urgent crime or disorder, to contact the police with a general enquiry or to speak to a local officer.

For example:

  • If a car has been stolen
  • If property has been damaged
  • Where there is suspicion of drug use or dealing
  • To report a minor traffic collision
  • To give information about crime in an area
  • To speak to a local officer. The public should continue to call their local council for things like:
  • Reporting graffiti
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Dumping and fly tipping
  • Vandalism

If the incident is recognised as an emergency, the operator or police call handler will put the caller through to 999.